I’ve eaten a lot of tofu scrambles, and they have all tasted sort of meh to me… until now. The “Easy Tofu Scramble” recipe I made this weekend from Robin Asbell’s New Vegetarian cookbook is not only the best tofu scramble recipe ever, but it’s also now one of my favorite dishes ever.
So I had to share.
What you need:
- 10 ounces extra-firm tofu (drained and pressed)
- 2 to 3 big ears sweet corn (kernels removed) or 2 cups canned
- 2 large scallions (slivered)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (halved and squeezed to remove extra juice)
- 3 cloves garlic (pressed)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 whole lime (zested and quartered)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pumpkinseeds
- olive oil spray
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 cups corn chips
- tabasco sauce
What to do:
- In a large bowl, crush the tofu with your hands. Mix in the corn, scallions, tomatoes, garlic, yeast, cumin, chili powder, oregano, saffron, lime zest, and salt. Set aside.
- Place the pumpkin seeds in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over high heat. Shaking the pan, toast the pumpkinseeds until they pop and begin turning darker. Remove them from the heat and pour them onto a plate.
- Wip the pan with a paper towel, then coat generously with olive oil spray. Add the tofu mixture and stir-fry over high heat. When the tofu is golden brown and dry, add the cilantro, stir for 1 minute, and remove from the heat. Divide the tofu among 2 or 3 plates.
- Serve topped with pumpkinseeds, a handful of corn chips, and the lime quarters, and pass around the Tabasco at the table.
(Serves 2 to 3)
Run, don’t walk, to your grocery store and buy the ingredients now. You will thank me. And also buy the book while you’re out. We’ve tried 4 recipes so far and love them all. Click here for another New Vegetarian recipe.