In my eternal quest to make my foods from scratch, I decided to try out Mark Bittman’s “Crunchy Granola” from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian.
Results? Home run!
I made the granola on a whim with whatever I had in my pantry, which did not include shredded coconut, and it still tasted fantastic. The moral is, that you can pretty much put anything in this puppy and it will come out delicious.
- 6 cups rolled oats (not quick cooking or instant)
- 2 cups mixed nuts like sunflower seeds, chopped walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews, and sesame seeds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste
- Dash salt
- 1/2 to 1 cup honey or maple syrup, or to taste (I went with 1/2 cup maple syrup.)
- 1 cup raisins or chopped dried fruit
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Put a 9 x 13-inch roasting pan over medium-low heat on stove (put the pan over 2 burners if it’s convenient). Add the oats and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to change color and become fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the nuts and seeds and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add the coconut and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Add the cinnamon, salt, and sweetener, stir, and put in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Add the dried fruit, stir, and cool on a rack, continuing to stir once in a while until the granola reaches room temperature. Transfer to a sealed container and store in the refrigerator; it will keep indefinitely.