This is an easy and delicious dish from Mark Bittman’s essential tome, How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. Though the recipe includes options to make the dish vegan or not, I’m presenting the vegan version. (Serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced, or 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped or sliced Golden Delicious or Granny Smith apples
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup dry (fino) sherry
- 3 cups cooked or canned kidney beans, drained but still moist
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Put the 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the shallots and the apples and cook, stirring occasionally , until soft and golden, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the thyme and sherry; bring to a boil and cook until nearly dry, about 2 minutes. Add the beans and a good sprinkling of salt and pepper; cook for 5 minutes or so. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve hot with a drizzle of olive oil over the top if you like, and with a thick slice of hearty whole grain bread.