Last night I cracked open another one of Jack Bishop’s cookbooks, The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook, and I picked a winner. This dish is ridiculously easy to make and beyond delicious. Tommie was very sad to put his fork down.
As usual, I am omitting the cheese from the recipe, but for my non-vegan friends, Jack says to put some Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese at the table to pass around.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 28-oz can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound penne or ziti
- 2 teaspoons aged balsamic vinegar
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot for cooking the pasta.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and saute over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rosemary and cook for 30 seconds to release its flavor.
- Add the tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Adjust the seasonings.
- When the water comes to a boil, add salt to taste and the pasta. Cook until al dente and then drain.
- Stir the vinegar into the tomato sauce and toss with the pasta, mixing well. Serve immediately.